You're where the Wild Things are...

An in-character blog set in the universe of EVE Online. These are the private diary entries of Lady Ekaterina Mariya deSilvestris, a minor Amarrian Noble and Capsuleer. Other existing characters within EVE will be referred to throughout, though any opinions and views expressed are those of this character. These entries may touch on or directly address mature themes such as violence, sexuality, race and ethnicity, and mental health. As noted, any views are those of the character.

Before we begin, I feel it important to say a few words on the subject of mental health. Ekaterina, or Ekat as many call her, is something of a troubled soul. This aspect of her character is a personal choice I have made, for very personal reasons. Although EVE is a game in which the players can immerse themselves to a greater or lesser degree as they wish, mental health is a very real issue for many people. Those two simple words cover a myriad different issues and concerns that affect people directly or indirectly every day all, over the world.

If you find yourself affected by any issues touched upon in these posts, or if you face your own troubles, please know that there are people out there you can turn to; doctors, friends, family - there is ALWAYS someone. If you are an EVE player, then Broadcast 4 Reps chat is available, staffed by wonderfully kind and good-hearted volunteers. If you know of someone who has mental health issues, then please just let them know you are there. It doesn't have to be anything big, just a smile, a cup of tea, a quick phone call about last night's game - just a little thing to show they aren't forgotten.

You Never Fly Alone.
01-07-YC121

Dearest Felix has always made more time for the more refined pasttimes in life, and takes a great interest in creative talents, even those of a more liberal persuasion from outside of the Empire.  He is forever encouraging the rest of us in similar pursuits, of course, and I was not surprised, therefore when he sent me a message that the latest Awards for the year's Capsuleers' Writing Contest.  What I was surprised at, however, was one particular entry to which he drew my attention - a poem: and a most beautiful, heartfelt, and moving poem it is!

The Embrace of Arms - a creation by my very own darling Kostya!  It is quite clearly inspired by his traumatic time on Anath.  My poor Love, what horrors must he have seen.  It is said that many of the greatest poets in history wrote their deepest, most emotional pieces when encountering the awful depths to which humanity can sink.  I pray that his writing has helped heal some of the pain I know he suffered.  His words speak so much of despair at what was wrought, but also of his own doubt.  Oh, My Star, do you still not see the good that you did, the lives you made better just by your reassuring presence alone?  Such suffering as you saw was so hard for you to bear, and yet it has not turned you cynical nor hardened your warm and loving heart.

That your poem turns to speak of hope, and Faith, and strength, and finally of Love!  Is it too selfish of me to think that the final line of your poem is the most beautiful of all?  Is it too arrogant of me to believe that is it indeed I to whom you refer with those sweet words?  I so dearly wish they are meant for me, that they were written as you thought of me holding you in my arms, but I dare not wish too hard in case I am indeed being too conceited and hubris bring me low once again.

I shall ask you when next I see you, My Love.  To think that you had not even told me you had written anything, let alone entered the competition.  Felix informs me that you did not secure a prize, but that matters not to me.  You have already won my heart.  It is yours to treasure for as long as you so wish.


No comments:

Post a Comment