You're where the Wild Things are...

An in-character blog set in the universe of EVE Online. These are the private diary entries of Lady Ekaterina Mariya deSilvestris, a minor Amarrian Noble and Capsuleer. Other existing characters within EVE will be referred to throughout, though any opinions and views expressed are those of this character. These entries may touch on or directly address mature themes such as violence, sexuality, race and ethnicity, and mental health. As noted, any views are those of the character.

Before we begin, I feel it important to say a few words on the subject of mental health. Ekaterina, or Ekat as many call her, is something of a troubled soul. This aspect of her character is a personal choice I have made, for very personal reasons. Although EVE is a game in which the players can immerse themselves to a greater or lesser degree as they wish, mental health is a very real issue for many people. Those two simple words cover a myriad different issues and concerns that affect people directly or indirectly every day all, over the world.

If you find yourself affected by any issues touched upon in these posts, or if you face your own troubles, please know that there are people out there you can turn to; doctors, friends, family - there is ALWAYS someone. If you are an EVE player, then Broadcast 4 Reps chat is available, staffed by wonderfully kind and good-hearted volunteers. If you know of someone who has mental health issues, then please just let them know you are there. It doesn't have to be anything big, just a smile, a cup of tea, a quick phone call about last night's game - just a little thing to show they aren't forgotten.

You Never Fly Alone.
17-02-YC121

God Smiles, and the whole of Creation changes!

Last night was the Ten Annivesary Celebrations for I-RED, a Caldari ally of ours.  I must say that being asked to attend as a representative of PIE was rather a pleasant surprise.  I would not have assumed that a lowly Ensign would be given such a privilege, but I was, in fact, the first of Praetorian to arrive, or perhaps the second - I think Commander Kley may have been there slightly before me, or perhaps very soon after. I am convinced she has still harbours suspicions that something inappropriate passed between Aldrith and I.  I do hope she does not confront me over it.

There were so many important people there, it was quite a sight.  Alizabeth (with quite simply the most enormous glass of beer I have ever seen; Sasha would be most impressed); Directrix Aspenstar and her assistant Aria; Garion Avarr; Director Avala; and so many more.  Aldrith and Captain Elkin arrived just before the speeches, which were given over dinner.  Dinner! My, Mama would have approved.  Everyone's food looked absolutely exquisite, and I was treated to the most delicious confit salmon with pickled fennel!

Director Hinklemann is a very impressive and competent speaker, and his speeches on I-RED's history, changes, and plans for the future were, although brief, quite stirring and inspiring.  Director Hinklemann was then followed by a singer, a Ms Scarlet Solange as I later learned.  Such a beautiful voice!  True, her songs were style popular in the Federation, but despite that they made very pleasant listening.  One in particular, something about crying a river, was very moving.  So much so I welcomed the fact that we were afterward free to walk in the gardens.

Such beautiful gardens they were!  Every bit the rival of those of Admiral Newelle or Captain Elkin's estates, and in some ways surpassing even those magnificent creations.  In particular was the exotic garden containing some of the most rare and unusual species of flora from the entirety of New Eden.  Papa would adore it, as I am sure it would make him think of all things our family must have seen throughout generations of service with the 51st.

One thing I was most certainly not expecting to see was a very morose Commander Kley.  I do not know how long she had been sat in the main garden, drinking alone, but it is clear she is not happy.  From all she said, and she said some quite dreadful things, I am concerned that perhaps the Captains are not making best use of her talents.  It is a shame to see such a valuable officer potentially wasted, but she wished to be alone and ordered me to go inside.

That was not much better.  At some point that Caldari oaf, Adams, had shown up, with one of his new Gallente cronies in tow, and he was virtually drooling over some attractice starlet - another Gallente, of course.  Poor thing looked utterly bored of him and his utter lack of decorum, I felt quite sorry for her.

Aldrith was also there, dancing with Director Avala.  Perhaps it was just me, but Aldrith seemed to be enjoying himself a little too much, and I do note that Admiral Newelle was not present last night.  It does make one wonder.  In any event, I was beginning to think I would never get the opportunity to dance myself; and it was such a pity as the music by this time was much more sophisticated and fitting to the occasion.

That was when it all changed, and God Smiled upon me.

I have no idea where he came from.  He just stepped out of the crowd, with Garion Avarr, gave the most gracious bow, and asked me for a dance!  I am sure I must have replied with the most inane girlish comment, but he was far too polite and well-mannered to make anything of it.  I said yes, what else could I do?

So I danced with a Bishop.

Bishop Constantin Baracca.

Such grace, such refinement.  He must have either had formal training or much practice, for I have never met such a skilled and experienced dancer in all my life.  Not a single foot wrong, and he was both gentle and confident in his lead.  Such manners also.  A True Amarrian Gentleman.  I shall never forget that night, no matter how long I shall live.  Nothing existed in that room save for Constantin and I, and I have never been happier.  I can scarce find the correct words, indeed only one comes to mind with any ease-

Safe.  I felt safe.

I had onyl expected one Amarrian Waltz, but at some point most of the crowd departed, and there were only a few left when the music changed to more traditional Ni-Kunni songs.  We just kept dancing! Round and round and faster and faster.  So exhilarating, and still Constantin was completely at ease with it all, as this were not only the most natural thing in the world, but also no more breathless than the simplest walk along a station boulevard.  Even now I can hardly believe it was not some vivid and fantastic dream.  Eventually it was too much for me.  Too tired and too excited, I could not dance anymore, and I just fell into his arms.

He caught me as if I were the lightest of feathers.  I lay there in his strong arms and despite myself looked into his eyes.  He looked as happy as I felt.  I think I said something inane again.

He walked me to my ship after that, my arm in his.  He showed me his ship. Jerusalem, a Harbinger Navy-Issue.  Absolutely beautiful!  We chatted briefly, and then he gave me very sweet kiss on the cheek and said good night.

I do not know what possessed me to do it, what caused me to just throw caution to the wind, but I knew I had to.  I could not resist, could not if I have wanted to - and I did not want to.  I was walking back to Dido, I had every intention of just getting back on board and heading for home, when I did it; and Praise to God that I did!  I shall never, ever regret it.  I do not think he was expecting it when I turned around and marched, brazenly marched, right back up to him.

I kissed him.  Full on the lips.  Then left him there, just standing, probably wondering what had just happened.

I cannot stop thinking about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment