You're where the Wild Things are...

An in-character blog set in the universe of EVE Online. These are the private diary entries of Lady Ekaterina Mariya deSilvestris, a minor Amarrian Noble and Capsuleer. Other existing characters within EVE will be referred to throughout, though any opinions and views expressed are those of this character. These entries may touch on or directly address mature themes such as violence, sexuality, race and ethnicity, and mental health. As noted, any views are those of the character.

Before we begin, I feel it important to say a few words on the subject of mental health. Ekaterina, or Ekat as many call her, is something of a troubled soul. This aspect of her character is a personal choice I have made, for very personal reasons. Although EVE is a game in which the players can immerse themselves to a greater or lesser degree as they wish, mental health is a very real issue for many people. Those two simple words cover a myriad different issues and concerns that affect people directly or indirectly every day all, over the world.

If you find yourself affected by any issues touched upon in these posts, or if you face your own troubles, please know that there are people out there you can turn to; doctors, friends, family - there is ALWAYS someone. If you are an EVE player, then Broadcast 4 Reps chat is available, staffed by wonderfully kind and good-hearted volunteers. If you know of someone who has mental health issues, then please just let them know you are there. It doesn't have to be anything big, just a smile, a cup of tea, a quick phone call about last night's game - just a little thing to show they aren't forgotten.

You Never Fly Alone.
18-05-YC121

I received the orders at a moment's notice, though that is little surprise given the nature of the mission, though this was not clear when the orders came.  I was told only to make all speed to Alkabsi, in a ship suited to heavy combat.  I chose TES Medea, a Harbinger-class.  Not a vessel I have very much experience in, but it seemed the better option.

It appears that Lord Consort Newelle had taken part in the "auction" of Orlon Zashev - and won!

The exchange had been arranged at the HZO Station.  I cannot say that I, in all honesty, approve of dealing directly with these mercenaries, but I would not expect my opinions to be taken into consideration.  I am, after all, merely an Ensign, and this decision was quite clearly between the Admirals and Captains.  I see their reasoning, of course - how else could be ensure that the criminal was passed, as he should be, to the custody of Lord Sarum?

Regardless, I had expected this to be a small, secretive affair. These exhanges, I understand, are usually done discreetly, neither party wishing to draw attention to themselves.  I was quite incorrect, however - most of PIE was there, a number of our LUMEN allies, and even capsuleers from CVA (it seems a lifetime since my time in that Alliance). 

I must confess I, like many of us, expected a trap - in the end we got something quite different, and most unexpected.

The Grandmarshal of the Order of Saint Tetrimon arrived.  This immediately caused no small amount of nervousness, heightened when he announced he was investigating rumours of seditious activity.  It appears that tabloid dirt-rag, The Scope, came upon an image of the Lord Consort and others meeting the Thukker mercenaries earlier that day.  Needless to say, The Scope turned it into a pack of lies and made it into something it was not - that said, I do believe that the Lord Consort was careless.  There must be a hundred better ways to conduct such a meeting.  Does no-one have secure comms any more?  Why the need to physically meet before the exchange I do not know.

Unless there was something else occurring at that meeting?

If having the Grandmarshal demand Zashev be handed over to the Order was nerve-wracking, then having the Ministry of Internal Order also arrive and make a counter-demand was more so.  I was not the only one who was braced for being declared heretic.  Though I was not happy that he had placed himself in such danger, I was reassured by Constantin being there.  Lady Llyr was also present, but, again, I am not comfortable with her placing herself at such risk.

In the end, Admiral Newelle, as a vassal of Lord Sarum, stood her ground, and was quite clear, and correct, in stating that given her position, and her obligations to her liege lord, she would not hand Zashev over, and would transport him to the custody of Lord Sarum's investigation.  It defused the situation, though we shall now have a fight on our hands within the Imperial Court.  I know something of politics - I think I would rather have had the battle.

One would have thought that was the business finished, but as we arrived at the Sarum station in Sarum Prime, the Royal Khanid Navy appeared in force.  Fortunately, Lord Sarum's own vessels were present, and the Kingdom is not so brash, yet, to force open conflict with another Heir.  I am not the only one thinking, of course, that civil war may very well be anotehr step closer - and we have been instrumental in this.

Once Zashev was secure in Sarum Prime, the fleet was stood down.  Constantin and I made all speed to his family's Holding in Amarr.  I have never wanted anyone or anything so much in all my life.  I think I may have truly exhausted him, and my sleep afterwards was certainly one of satisfaction and fulfillment.

Since waking, however, I have thought more on the confrontation.  What if we had been declared heretic, or treasonous?  What of my family?  They would have to disown me, of course, to save their own position - that is what I would want them to do.  Yet, would they?  I am not so sure they would.  What would that mean for them?  For Papa, Mama? For Kolya, Felix, Sasha?  Everything would be lost.  The deSilvestris family as exiles!  It would be difficult, horrendous, but we would survive and we would persevere.  Sumus Silvestre.

What if civil war does come? What then?  I have taken my oath in PIE, and must stand by it.  This places me firmly with Sarum.  My family have strong ties to Sarum, of course, so it seems obvious - but Papa being an officer in the Imperial Navy - if the Throne were to remain neutral, then the Navy must also.  I suppose that would not be so difficult a position.  It would be worse were the Navy to take a side, even if the Throne did not.

It is a terrible vision, one I do not wish to think on, lest it give me nightmares.  I wish at times that Constantin and I could just leave together to somewhere far away from all of this.  That cannot be, of course, and I must put foolish fantasies from my mind also.  For now, I will take my refuge in his bed, find my safety in his arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment