You're where the Wild Things are...

An in-character blog set in the universe of EVE Online. These are the private diary entries of Lady Ekaterina Mariya deSilvestris, a minor Amarrian Noble and Capsuleer. Other existing characters within EVE will be referred to throughout, though any opinions and views expressed are those of this character. These entries may touch on or directly address mature themes such as violence, sexuality, race and ethnicity, and mental health. As noted, any views are those of the character.

Before we begin, I feel it important to say a few words on the subject of mental health. Ekaterina, or Ekat as many call her, is something of a troubled soul. This aspect of her character is a personal choice I have made, for very personal reasons. Although EVE is a game in which the players can immerse themselves to a greater or lesser degree as they wish, mental health is a very real issue for many people. Those two simple words cover a myriad different issues and concerns that affect people directly or indirectly every day all, over the world.

If you find yourself affected by any issues touched upon in these posts, or if you face your own troubles, please know that there are people out there you can turn to; doctors, friends, family - there is ALWAYS someone. If you are an EVE player, then Broadcast 4 Reps chat is available, staffed by wonderfully kind and good-hearted volunteers. If you know of someone who has mental health issues, then please just let them know you are there. It doesn't have to be anything big, just a smile, a cup of tea, a quick phone call about last night's game - just a little thing to show they aren't forgotten.

You Never Fly Alone.
18-04-YC122

Happy Birthday, My Darling Kolya!

How lucky we are to have communications such as we have today.  Although I have been so terribly busy of late, I could not possibly allow my brother's birthday to pass without contacting him.  I do miss my family, and Kolya most of all.  Now that he has transferred over to the Sarum Navy since the restructuring, he has as much free time as I do, which is to say very little, so we are blessed that the whole family can come together through the network.  That is when it works, of course.  I should think Kolya and the rest of the family have very few problems, but here in the warzone, communications are constantly being interrupted.  No doubt Tribals electronic warfare attempts.  I suppose one cannot be surprised.  We do the same.

It seems so long ago since I faced this warzone with trepidation.  I suppose in many ways it is.  I could never have imagined, back at my very entrance into the Academy, that I would, by this point, be forming a rather impressive killboard.  Indeed, at any point.  Of course, it is nothing when compared with many other far more skilled capsuleers, on all sides, and, personally, I do not consider such things worthy of note, least of all my own, yet I cannot deny that I have come a long way.

There is, however, always a price to pay for success.  I do not mean my losses, for they, now that I have become accustomed to the inevitability of such thing, mean as little as my victories.  No, I mean the loneliness.  Everything is so filled up with duties and responsibilities of one sort of another that I barely seen anyone else in a social context.  I am so grateful to God and the Eternal Empress that I can have these moment with my family, even if it they are only through long-distance communications.  Even when I go back to Mehatoor I do not see anyone I am particularly familiar with.  There are the fights, of course, which pass the time and keep me focused, to say nothing of honing my skills, but little wonder that when I do have some time to myself it is mostly spent in the comfortable numbness of Esfand.

The klaxon again!  Another call to arms.  I barely have time to even write anymore.  I fear this region shall never be secured by anyone. A eternity of fighting.  I wonder - even if one side or another does win, what shall be left for them to display their victory?

No comments:

Post a Comment